Answered By: Josh Waltman Last Updated: Feb 02, 2017 Views: 902
A peer-reviewed journal article is an article that has been checked for quality in its methods, data, and conclusions by experts within its academic field. To find peer-reviewed journal articles, follow these steps:
1) Go to the library’s main page and find the search bar. Change the drop down box which is to the left of the search box from “All” to “Articles.” If you want to be able to read the articles you find online, you will also want to check the options underneath the search box that say “Online Full Text PDF" and "Scholarly/Peer Reviewed". Then, type in the topic you want to search. Click on the green button to the right labeled “Go.”
2) On the next page you will see a number of articles that match your search terms. On the top left side of the page, there is an option that says “Refine Your Search.” Underneath this heading, you should see a green checkmark next to "Scholarly & Peer-Review", confirming that your results have been limited to those from a scholarly or peer-reviewed publication.
3) Once you find an article you want to view, click on the link at the bottom of the entry that says “Full Text Online.”
4) The next page will look different depending on what database is displaying the article. (Articles are published in journals and journals are stored in databases.) Sometimes the article will be displayed immediately on the page (in html format), and other times you will need to find the option labeled “Get PDF.” If you do not see the article immediately, find this PDF link and click on it to open the article.
Yet this is not the only option for finding peer-reviewed articles. You may also use the following method:
- Start on the library homepage.
- Under the Collections heading at the top of the page select the "Databases" link.
- Select a subject-specific database by browsing the subjects on the left hand side of the page, or use a general database such as EBSCO Quick Search.
- Depending on the database being used, there should be some option to limit the results to "scholarly (peer-reviewed) journals". In some databases the option will be on the first search page, while in others it may be on the results page. Once you select this option you will only be shown articles that are considered scholarly.