Answered By: Josh Waltman Last Updated: Jan 10, 2017 Views: 69
Here are a few recommendations in researching this topic:
1) Use the Christian Classics Ethereal Library to find primary and secondary sources. For instance you can find a book entitled "Early Years of Christianity: The Apostolic Era" and use chapter IV, which deals with this topic. That book is found here. Or you can find a number of primary sources on the topic. For example, Lactantius' account can be viewed here. Try searching other early Christian sources on this same website using the search bar in the top right. These are considered scholarly sources.
2) There are a number of books available for preview on Google books that might be used to get information. They can be seen in part here.
3) If you are a residential student, you can check out great books from our printed materials. Some of these can be seen here. If you are an online student, these printed materials are available to you through our Interlibrary Loan system. For more information about that, click here.
4) A few good journal articles can be found by searching "worship early church" in the Theological Journal Library. Below are the instructions for searching within this database:
- First, go to the library home page.
- Next, in the top middle-right of the page there is a heading called "Collections." Click on this heading and choose the option labeled "Databases," which is under "Electronic."
- Third, on the left side of the page, there is a list of subjects underneath the heading "Browse by Subject." Find and click on the subject labeled "Philosophy and Religion."
- Next, on the next page there will be a list of databases related to philosophy and religion. Scroll down until you see that one labeled "Theological Journal Library." It will be toward the bottom of the list. Click on this database title.
- Fifth, on the next page, click on the option "Search Journals" which is on the right underneath "Journals Menu."
- Finally, on the next page, you will then be able to use the search bar to search for articles related to your topic. Type in "worship in the early church" and search. The articles that are found will be considered scholarly articles and you will be able to read them by simply clicking on the article title.